From: Eric Thibodeau <kyron@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Re: GSoc 2009 : Making the cluster LiveCD bootable from USB
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 11:45:36
1 I'll top-post this one since there are some errors in the LiveCD-Howto
2 (a mix of two approaches I had). The HOWTO doesn't take clearly into
3 consideration the fact that there can actually be 2 resulting CDs
4 (normal and minimal). The process goes as follows:
5
6 A) Build NFSroot Image:
7 1,2,3: build stage images
8 4: build nfstoot image
9 The real PITA here is generally kernel + AuFS related. The
10 package and kernel cache deletion steps are _required_ between rebuild,
11 otherwise catalyst uses cached packages and things just won't work.
12 There might be new features to fix that in newer catalysts.
13
14 B) Build LiveCD
15 1,2,3: build stage images selecting the spec files that reflect the
16 desired end CD (minimal or with desktop). The main difference are some
17 USE flags, I'm not even sure the differentiation is still relevant.
18 4: build livecd-stage1
19 5: a) bind-mount the nfsroot image into the livecd's playgournd
20 b) build the livecd-stage2 using catalyst.
21
22 The rational behind 5 a) is that the LiveCD is actually built in 5 b)
23 and pulls in everything that will reside in
24 /var/git/clustering-livecd/catalyst/livecd/2008.0/overlay/ . This is the
25 way to include "extra files" in the CD which aren't part of a regular
26 Gentoo system.
27
28 I'm sorry for the confusion, hope this clarifies the process and answers
29 your questions.
30
31 Eric
32
33 Tom Stellard wrote:
34 > I was finally able to build an x86 live CD image, but there are a few
35 > things about the build process I don't understand. Here are the
36 > directions for building the live CD as I understand them:
37 >
38 > 1. Build nfsroot using these spec files in this order: stage1.spec,
39 > stage2.spec, stage3.spec, nfsroot_stage4.spec
40 >
41 > 2. Bind mount nfsroot to
42 > /var/git/clustering-livecd/catalyst/livecd/2008.0/overlay/tftproot/nfsroot/x86
43 >
44 > 3. Start building the live CD using these spec files in this order:
45 > stage1.spec stage2-desktop.spec stage3-desktop.spec
46 >
47 > 4.Unmount nfsroot
48 >
49 > 5. Run catalyst with these spec files: nfsroot_stage4.spec
50 > livecd-stage1-minimal.spec
51 >
52 > 6. Bind mount nfsroot again
53 >
54 > 7. Run catalyst with this spec file: livecd-stage2-minimal.spec
55 >
56 > My questions are:
57 > Why is it necessary to bind mount nfsroot in step 2?
58 > Why do we run nfsroot_stage4.spec again in step 5?
59 >
60 > Thanks.
61 >
62 > -Tom Stellard