From: wiktor w brodlo <wiktor@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Gentoo Anaconda Final Report
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 12:08:27
1 On 24 August 2011 04:16, Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 23:00 Mon 22 Aug     , wiktor w brodlo wrote:
3 >> I will also continue my never-ending quest of slimming Anaconda down
4 >> as there's still a lot of dead/useless code in the tree (but figuring
5 >> out what can go and what should stay is a task on its own).
6 >
7 > Wiktor,
8 >
9 > lxnay was kind enough to point out that removing "dead" code will make
10 > it extremely hard to rebase your work upon upstream changes. How do you
11 > propose to deal with that?
12
13 Maybe not *extremely* hard. These days Anaconda development, both in
14 Fedora and in Sabayon, isn't exactly lightening-fast, so I think
15 following their development and merging back any nice changes
16 systematically won't take up too much time. I always thought that I'd
17 just keep their respective git repos locally and if there are any
18 changes, look at what they do and determine if they're of any use to
19 Gentoo. This way, only the changes done to the files that we also have
20 will be merged back in, and then only if they affect our installer -
21 for example, yum, Fedora repos, Entropy (Sabayon's package manager)
22 etc support is totally unneeded in Gentoo so there's no point even
23 bothering ourselves with changes to those parts, so I don't see any
24 point in keeping this code.
25
26 ~ wiktor.