From: wiktor w brodlo <wiktor@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Gentoo Anaconda Final Report
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 22:33:52
1 On 24 August 2011 18:48, Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 12:07 Wed 24 Aug     , wiktor w brodlo wrote:
3 >> On 24 August 2011 04:16, Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
4 >> > On 23:00 Mon 22 Aug     , wiktor w brodlo wrote:
5 >> >> I will also continue my never-ending quest of slimming Anaconda down
6 >> >> as there's still a lot of dead/useless code in the tree (but figuring
7 >> >> out what can go and what should stay is a task on its own).
8 >> >
9 >> > Wiktor,
10 >> >
11 >> > lxnay was kind enough to point out that removing "dead" code will make
12 >> > it extremely hard to rebase your work upon upstream changes. How do you
13 >> > propose to deal with that?
14 >>
15 >> Maybe not *extremely* hard. These days Anaconda development, both in
16 >> Fedora and in Sabayon, isn't exactly lightening-fast, so I think
17 >> following their development and merging back any nice changes
18 >> systematically won't take up too much time. I always thought that I'd
19 >> just keep their respective git repos locally and if there are any
20 >> changes, look at what they do and determine if they're of any use to
21 >> Gentoo. This way, only the changes done to the files that we also have
22 >> will be merged back in, and then only if they affect our installer -
23 >> for example, yum, Fedora repos, Entropy (Sabayon's package manager)
24 >> etc support is totally unneeded in Gentoo so there's no point even
25 >> bothering ourselves with changes to those parts, so I don't see any
26 >> point in keeping this code.
27 >
28 > You think manually inspecting all commits is worth it? Seems like `git
29 > pull --rebase` would be a lot easier.
30
31 That would work too ;-)
32 Though having a look at the commits before the pull is a good idea by itself.