From: Robert Seaton <seatonr@××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Plan 9 From Gentoo: Weekly Progress Report #8
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 15:27:44
1 Hi, all.
2
3 Plan 9 From Gentoo is a GSoC 2011 project to combine a Plan 9 inspired
4 userspace with a Linux kernel.
5
6 This week I worked on porting the Glendix patches to a newer kernel. I
7 currently have everything in a buildable state and I was just waiting
8 for Anant to help me figure out the parameters for two functions. He
9 got back to me yesterday, so I should be able to complete porting the
10 patches to a newer kernel sometime today.
11
12 In addition, I worked on getting portage up and running on the liveCD
13 image. At first, I tried to ship a copy of sudo so that users could
14 sudo emerge without being prompted by a password, which is -- I
15 believe -- randomly generated by the Catalyst build process. However,
16 there proved to be some problem with the way the liveCD filesystems
17 are set up and the security mechanisms surrounding /etc/sudoers. Very
18 cryptic error messages. I ended up just adding '/usr/bin/passwd -d' to
19 /etc/conf.d/local which deletes the root password on boot. This way
20 individuals can just run su and then emerge to their hearts content.
21
22 Currently, my generated liveCD images are ignoring the portage tree
23 that I have included in the liveCD overlay. I'm not sure if there is
24 something about my environment or what is going on. I intend to try
25 and build a fresh liveCD image after I have successfully ported the
26 Glendix patches to a newer kernel. Once I get portage working
27 (hopefully by Tuesday), I will release the generated liveCD image as a
28 BETA because it is in a pretty usable state and I just saw today that
29 someone has asked after it.
30
31 One other thing I completed this week: I contacted Robin about setting
32 up a project page. Currently, I have a test page up at
33 http://soc.dev.gentoo.org/~rps/plan9/ . Once I finish porting the
34 Glendix patches to a newer kernel and have a liveCD image generated
35 with portage working, I'm going to work on fleshing out the Plan 9
36 From Gentoo project page. So far I'm thinking about having an
37 introductory project page, an FAQ, and a page about remastering Plan 9
38 From Gentoo. I may add more pages as they occur to me.
39
40 Once the project pages, forward porting the Glendix patches, and
41 getting portage working are complete, I'm going to start working on
42 porting some of Plan 9's syscalls to the Linux kernel. The goal, as I
43 mentioned last week, is to get the sam editor from Plan 9 running on
44 top of a Linux kernel. It would eventually be cool to get every app
45 from Plan 9 running natively on top of the Linux kernel, but that
46 would require a lot of invasive changes to Linux and is probably
47 beyond the scope of this GSoC project. I intend to get as much of Plan
48 9 working on top of Linux as I can, though.
49
50 Cheers,
51 rps