From: EBo <ebo@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] We need your ideas for the Google Summer of Code
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 11:17:34
1 On Feb 24 2014 1:07 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 1:55 PM, Denis Dupeyron <calchan@g.o>
3 > wrote:
4 >> It is even debatable that there is a default in Gentoo. Most
5 >> users seem to be attached to OpenRC, but the fact that systemd is a
6 >> hard requirement of Gnome blurs the picture.
7 >
8 > Well, following the handbook gives users an openrc-based system. At
9 > some point perhaps the handbook will make systemd a first-class
10 > citizen, and it will be just another option like lilo vs grub and so
11 > on. The only thing holding that up is cleaning things up and writing
12 > the documentation, and it sounds like there are some interested in
13 > doing just that.
14
15 for the record, last weekend I regressed the systemd stuff back to my
16 openrc setup before. The system is much mo bedda now.
17
18 Yes, it would be nice to have the docs cleaned up, and I am sure that
19 it will come in time. Speaking for myself, it would have been helpful
20 to fully appreciate the invasiveness of the changes before heading off
21 into the wilderness this time. Fortunately I've only made such a bone
22 headed upgrade a couple of times in the last decade, so all things being
23 equal...
24
25 > With all the Debian stuff going on I've been thinking about whether
26 > Gentoo needs to do more, and honestly I think we covered most of the
27 > ground we needed to cover last summer/fall. I think we've cleared
28 > the
29 > way as much as we can for both openrc and systemd to be completely
30 > successful on Gentoo. We don't have to pick a winner, and I don't
31 > think anyone would say it is quite time to change the "defaults" -
32 > whatever that even means.
33
34 Fair enough. As a note, the reason I brought it up to the Gentoo's
35 GSoC group is that it might be something an enterprising intern would
36 want to take a poke at over the summer...
37
38 Now, I'm back off to NASA to work with our own interns.
39
40 Oh, in parting. I had not known that Chrome OS is Gentoo based...
41
42 EBo --