From: Deepanshu Thakur <deepanshu2017@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] GSoC 2016: imapfw, the next mail framework
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2016 17:01:38
1 Hi,
2
3 Hope you all are doing good. I am Deepanshu Thakur, student of Computer
4 Science at Arya College of Engineering and I.T. Jaipur, India.
5
6 I am applying for project 'Imapfw, the next mail framework'. The IMAP
7 Framework (imapfw in short) is a framework designed to improve and extend
8 features of 'OffllineIMAP.' OfflineIMAP is a python program which is
9 included in Gentoo to synchronize E-mail over IMAP server. It is a nice
10 tool. You can have an up-to-date backup of your emails on your local
11 machine (which is by the way a use case of OfflineIMAP). OfflineIMAP has
12 plenty of features but some new features need to be added. To add new
13 features and to eliminate all the downsides of OfflineIMAP we are going to
14 have imapfw.
15 Some of the features that will be added in are
16 * New synchronization system for better synchronization of E-mails
17 * Better concurrency support over OfflineIMAP
18 * Better extensibility
19
20 Once this project is completed, it will replace OfflineIMAP.
21
22 *Project Idea*
23 Gentoo Idea page for imapfw
24 <https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code/2016/Ideas/imapfw,_the_next_mail_framework>
25
26 *Proposal*
27 Google Docs Proposal
28 <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EtO3bEWQqKljACHjkuhntmxeHyUuBJedOwziP72HTIg/edit?usp=sharing>
29
30 *About myself and reason behind choosing this project*
31 I am a 3rd year Computer Science Engineering student at Arya College of
32 Engineering and I.T. Jaipur, India. I am a big Linux fan and using Linux
33 since day one of my Computer Science degree course. I am a RedhatCertified
34 Engineer
35 <https://www.redhat.com/rhtapps/certification/verify/?certId=150-092-286>.
36 Being from Linux background will definitely help me in this project because
37 this project targets Linux users mainly. I have previously used many Linux
38 flavors like RedHat and OpenSuse and currently using ubunut and Gentoo. I
39 am also a keen python developer. You can find my work on Github
40 <https://github.com/Deepanshu2017>. One big reason behind choosing this
41 project for GSoC 2016 is because I like the concept and uniqueness of this
42 project and this project is offering something which will be useful for
43 thousand of users. This project best suites my skills and knowledge. I also
44 hold experience in working Open source community so I know, how a open
45 source community works.
46
47 Thanks for your consideration. I Look forward to hearing from you.
48 Thanks and regards,
49
50 Deepanshu Thakur
51 Computer Science Engineering