From: Liam McLoughlin <hexxeh@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Gentoaster - Week 7 progress report
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 18:42:27
1 Hey,
2
3 This week has been excellent in terms of progress. The Gearman
4 worker/client is now complete, and can be used to queue builds. I've
5 tested this setup on a few different machines and it seems pretty
6 solid as long as you configure the paths correctly. Also, as part of
7 this, builds will now isolate all their activity into a single
8 directory. It's not chrooted as such, like I said in my previous
9 progress report, because the use of binaries from the host is
10 required. I'm not entirely sure chrooting makes any sense after giving
11 it some more thought, because they'd still be root and they could
12 break back out of the chroot anyway. However, all input to this tool
13 is heavily sanitised before it reaches Gearman, so the potential
14 threats should be dealt with before they even reach the build tool.
15
16 So that's everything checked off what I said I'd be doing this week.
17 How much did I actually get done though? A whole lot more. I've
18 started and then made huge progress with my WebUI, and it's producing
19 working builds right now, however the interfaces are still quite rough
20 and need improvement still. Rather than try to explain what I've done,
21 check out the screencaps on my blog here:
22 http://hexxeh.net/?p=328117737
23
24 For a minimal image, the whole process from the welcome screen to
25 being booted into your image takes around 2 minutes. Some things are
26 still missing, some obvious to see, some not so obvious. The selection
27 options on the Locale screen are currently hardcoded, these have to be
28 loaded from a Stage3 or a preprepared list kept with the Stage3. The
29 Packages screen could use improvement to make package selection user
30 friendly, including the option of some commonly used predefined sets
31 of packages a user can pick to get for example a desktop environment
32 with a word processor up and running quickly. Also, some of the
33 customisation options are still missing. USE flags selection and
34 keywords to name a couple. The UI also needs general polish and extra
35 help messages to make it more user friendly. These are this weeks
36 tasks:
37
38 - Load timezones from Stage3/external list
39 - Load keyboard layouts from Stage3/external list
40 - Look into supporting more languages
41 - Add the rest of the customisation options in an expert mode of the wizard
42
43 I'm also hoping to add extra security measures on the WebUI the
44 following week in preparation for getting a public copy up and
45 running. I've ordered servers this week to power a large installation
46 of the system and so I should have no problems letting everyone try it
47 out once it's ready, no download/setup required. So that's my summary
48 of the past week, well ahead of schedule, going very well indeed.
49
50 Cheers,
51 Liam