From: Dmitry Bashkatov <me@×××××××.name>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Re: New idea: network eclean
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 20:08:02
1 2010/3/22 Brian Dolbec <brian.dolbec@×××××.com>:
2 > Dmitry: I was not misleading you, (I think you meant misunderstood), and
3 > yes I was interested in your script.
4 Yes, sorry, my english is bad for now. =)
5
6 > I am interested in working with you if you would like to work on it, in
7 > a way that would be integrated with the current python code base.
8 I love gentoo and I want to contribute in any way. Thanks for your offer.
9
10 But I aimed to participate in gsoc. Now I am diving in to program
11 projects, so have not any free time. If you want I can help you later.
12 It will be useful experience for me.
13
14 > I found that your script along with Nirbheek's idea of running eclean on
15 > each machine and then finding the common files, is a poor, although
16 > simple way of doing it.  The reason I think it is poor is that since the
17 > distfiles are NFS shared, and that each instance of eclean accesses
18 > those files, it's an unnecessary use of resources for files that are
19 > largely common to all/nearly all systems. The other thing is that a
20 > large part of the search for files to clean means accessing the portage
21 > tree to obtain the source file names for installed packages by using
22 > portage function calls.  The tree is also most likely being shared,
23 > which again unnecessarily uses resources for those pkgs and versions in
24 > common.  Now imagine an install with 100 clients using the same
25 > distfiles and portage tree server all doing that for 1,000 installed
26 > ebuilds.  It would be a tremendous waste of resources, not to mention a
27 > huge increase in run time.
28 Totally agree with you!
29
30 > If someone has a small, yet large enough system
31 > that could be used for proper testing ( -p, --pretend mode of course)
32 > also speak up.
33 I have such system and interested in testing.