From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] GSoC 2013: Log collector
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 03:04:17
1 On Mon, 2013-04-29 at 02:48 +0100, Antanas Uršulis wrote:
2 > - the collector & analyser:
3 > --- receives logs over some protocol
4 > --- should be able to group logs (receive several log files for a
5 > failing package and keep them together) (this, depending on the
6 > implementation, might be part of the portage integration)
7 > --- matches each line against a regexp, we can look into something
8 > more extensible if required
9 > --- organises the files by hostname and submits them to the storage backend
10 >
11 > - the storage backend:
12 > --- I could start with Amazon's AWS and then move to something
13 > standalone (how much data is there to store, actually? 1/10/100 GB?
14 > and how large can a single log file become?)
15 > --- keeps the logs and also a simple database that would hold
16 > information about the log groups (package, date, links to log files,
17 > etc.)
18 >
19 > - the frontend:
20 > --- displays a list of packages that have matches
21 > --- should be integrated with bugzilla; one can see open bugs for a
22 > selected package, and also file a new bug
23 > --- should be password protected
26 If you would like a gtk frontend for parsing logs, porthole's terminal
27 is pretty much a ready to use app which already parses portage output,
28 separates out error and warning messages to separate views. The
29 separated warnings, etc. make it easy to peruse to find the relevant
30 errors, double-clicking on one brings you to the place in the main log
31 where the error occurred. There you can move through and find the cause
32 if it is shown. It has been my intention for years to separate it from
33 the package browser. If you are interested in all or part of the code.
34
35 http://sourceforge.net/p/porthole/code/ci/master/tree/porthole/terminal/
36
37 P.S. This portion of the terminal code was done long before portage had
38 the current logging capability.
39 --
40 Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>