From: "Robert R. Russell" <robert@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Questions about Cache Sync idea for 2010 soc
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2010 18:09:57
1 The cache sync project[1] wants a way to generate portage's cache on the portage tree and/or any chosen overlay and then distribute that cache by some method. Correct?
2
3 This project sounds very similar to an idea I have been toying around with for a bit, but I have some questions before I apply for this project.
4
5 How well documented is the current cache format portage uses?
6
7 What restrictions if any would be placed on extending the current cache format?
8
9 How well documented is the ebuild file format?
10
11 How much of the ebuild is essential for portage to create a valid cache entry?
12
13 How stable and well documented is the format of the cache essential pieces of an ebuild?
14
15 Is there any previous work on this or a project that might overlap with this project? Such as, an attempt at a new parser for portage.
16
17 Will there be mandatory discussion between the person doing this project and the person doing the tags support project?
18
19 Is improving the performance of the cache and/or search feature a mandatory goal of this project?
20
21 Thank you.
22
23 [1] http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code_2010_ideas#Cache_sync