From: Nils <nils.schlupp@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Interest in idea 2.16: SCM snapshot management infrastructure or 2.1: Add "tags" support to Portage
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 20:13:50
1 Thanks for the response so far.
2
3 >> Secondly, I understand this as a way to have a mirror periodically check the
4 >> upstream repository for changed, and then respond by notifying the
5 >> maintainer. Ebuilds will be left using these snapshots, which seems like a
6 >> rather small improvement over the current system.
7 >
8 > Yes, that's the way it should work. The whole idea of snapshots is to
9 > provide stability. If the upstream repo changed, the maintainer needs
10 > to go and see what changed and how that will affect the package. It
11 > might seem like a small step, but for projects that never produce
12 > official source snapshots, it's a big step to me.
13
14 Ok, so this program would need to:
15 1 Scan all the ebuilds and see which ones use SCM.
16 2 Auto generate a snapshot and notify the maintainer so he/she can
17 test the snapshot and make sure everything is working just fine.
18 3 Modify the ebuild to point to the snapshot instead of the source repository.
19 4 Update the Manifest to reflect this update
20 5 Periodically check for changes.
21
22 I also assume that there will be an option for the maintainer to keep
23 the ebuild live in the way it is now, without snapshots?
24 Also, would the scm url be left as a backup, in case the snapshot
25 cannot be found? Or should we provide an classical live ebuild as well
26 as the snapshot version, in order to have a fallback?
29 >> And thirdly, there is currently no mentor for this project. Would anyone be
30 >> interested in working with me on this?
31 >
32 > You'll have to spam the infra team to see if anyone is interested. I
33 > can clarify the details but I'm not sure if I can serve as a mentor
34 > for this... maybe if nobody responds to my collision checking project
35 > idea.
36 >
37 > -ak
38
39 I send them a mail yesterday, but I have yet to hear back. I will
40 certainly put in the application, and then hope that this will work
41 itself out.
42
43 Thanks for all the input so far,
44 Nils Schlupp