From: Gunwant Jain <therealgunwant@×××××.com>
To: Benda Xu <heroxbd@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Weekly Report: Portage Powered Android
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2020 16:13:13
1 On 20/07/01 03:17PM, Benda Xu wrote:
2 > > But while building the toolchain, I was not able to compile `gcc` as I
3 > > was riddled with errors along the way. Most of them are related to the
4 > > newer `gcc` (version 9.x) finding incompatibility in the sources of
5 > > the `gcc` I am trying to build (version 4.9). I will continue to
6 > > build the toolchain and hopefully move onto separating `Bionic` from
7 > > the other side of Android mid-week.
8 >
9 > Why do you need to build gcc-4.9?
10
11 I assumed we need to build the gcc which is used by the Android platform
12 (and as an extension NDK as well). The latest gcc which they ship is
13 version 4.9 [1].
14
15 > Does the version number "4.4.222" coresspond to the kernel of your
16 > phone?
17
18 Yes.
19
20 > Generally, when compiling a toolchain, you don't need to match
21 > the linux-header version to the running kernel. The newest linux-header
22 > will do.
23
24 I was not aware of that, thanks. But then again, I don't see why I
25 shouldn't continue using the "4.4.222" headers.
28 Regards,
29 Gunwant
30
31 [1] https://android.googlesource.com/toolchain/gcc/+/refs/heads/master