From: Andrea Arteaga <andyspiros@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Benchmarking suite - Mid-term report
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 10:39:21
1 With this email I present the status of my project just before the
2 mid-term evaluation.
3
4 Project description
5 =====================
6
7 The project aims to develop a simple yet powerful automated system of
8 benchmarking for numerical libraries. The Gentoo software system
9 provides many implementations of widely used standards such as BLAS,
10 CBLAS, LAPACK, ScaLAPACK and some other numerical library such as
11 FFTW, MKL. The developed tools will aid the system maintener to choose
12 the best suited implementation with respect to the machine hardware
13 and to test the samer implementation or different ones with different
14 compilers, compiler versions and compile flags.
17 Technical report
18 ==================
19
20 In order to avoid a too long email, the report is published on my blog
21 [1]. Please feel free to post comments there or to email here.
24 Non-technical considerations
25 ==============================
26
27 The Google Summer of Code programme is the much interesting and
28 exciting work that I could imagine. The contact with the community
29 through mailing lists, forums, IRC channels, surveys, is very
30 rewarding and helpful. I am really happy with this. Independently of
31 the result of my project, I am sure I will continue work within the
32 Gentoo community.
33
34 Alas, I had a problem some weeks ago and I was away for about 10 days
35 without having the possibility to code anything or contact my mentor.
36 I am doing my best to fill the gap, working more houres than stated at
37 the beginning of the programme.
38
39 Regarding the schedule, I wanted to provide until the mid-term
40 evaluation the following:
41 * BLAS, CBLAS, LAPACK benchmarks
42 * As much stability and usability as possible
43 * An ebuild for simple installing the software
44 * An initial work on the reports feature
45
46 All this has been completed. I ran as much tests as possible. They
47 show that the script is quite stable. But I would need more tests with
48 different hardware, so *some help from the community is really
49 welcome*.
50 Besides these milestones, the following have also been reached:
51
52 * BLAS_ACCURACY tests
53 * FFTW benchmarks
54 * Complete logging features
55 * Fancy and complete reports, including the logs, summary figures and
56 individual plots
57
58 This means that I'm ahead of schedule.
59
60 The following are the milestones for the next weeks:
61 * Develop distributed memory benchmarks: PBLAS, ScaLAPACK
62 * Improve the FFTW benchmarks, including 2-dimensional (maybe 3-D,
63 too) benchmarks and distributed memory ones
64 * Inlude support for MKL
65 * Better logging support (a few tasks are not still logged)
66 * Better ebuild for the Gentoo installation. Include this into the
67 Scientific Gentoo Project repository
68 * Much documentation. This includes:
69 ** In-script docuentation (e.g. handling -h and --help switches)
70 ** Man-page
71 ** Web pages
72
73 For the benchmarks, I plan to spend 1 week for the distributed memory
74 ones. One week for FFTW and MKL. Another week for the better logging
75 support and the ebuild (this will require re design the git
76 repository, too). Some more time for the documentation (say 1.5
77 weeks). This amount to 4.5 weeks, which is the time before the final
78 evaluation.
81 Acknowledgements
82 ==================
83
84 I have to say thanks to my mentor Sébastien who is very kind and
85 helped a lot with tests, suggestions, comments. We have had daily
86 communications and this was important for me.
87
88 The Gentoo community, and in particular the persons within the
89 gentoo-soc group and the scientific project were helpful. I asked
90 sometimes for help on the forums, through the mailing-lists and on the
91 chat channels, and I almost always received responsive help.
92
93 Finally, thanks to Google for encouraging the open-source software
94 development with such a programme.
97 Best regards
98 Andrea Arteaga
99