From: Sarath Lakshman <sarathlakshman@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] [SOC Idea] Dracut port to gentoo
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2010 15:09:42
1 Hi,
2
3 I would like to work on the project Dracut port to gentoo.
4 Dracut is a new generation initramfs system which is initially developed by
5 Fedora team. It replaces the concept of hard coded initramfs different
6 distros as well as live cd, thinclient, install cd etc. It introduces a high
7 level modular approach in initramfs. Also it enables much faster boot by
8 reducing the always spend (around 5 seconds) in initramfs space.
9
10 Another improvement I would like to work on is about Gentoo LTSP
11 integration. Gentoo LTSP is having some conflicts about genkernel's network
12 modules generation. Hence gentoo ltsp project needs some resolution
13 regarding this issue. Udev can be used with initramfs instead of hardcoded
14 kernel module loaders, it will load modules upon requirement. Also it can
15 handle firmware loading.
16
17 Also I would like to port Plymouth bootsplash also to the initramfs. Hence
18 Gentoo users can enjoy the nice plymouth bootsplash. It can also be used in
19 LTSP as the part of integration.
20
21 Dracut can be used to resolve some of the LTSP integration issues and it
22 will benefit the gentoo booting process.
23
24 [1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Dracut
28 Happy Hacking,
29 Sarath Lakshman