From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Application for Google Summer of Code 2018-Mishal Roy
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2018 13:37:11
1 On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 2:50 AM, Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > https://github.com/adjust/gentoo-overlay/tree/master/sys-kernel
4 >
5 > This just needs to be cleaned up a bit to be upstreamed, and so far I've
6 > not had the time for it.
7 >
8 > It's a solved problem (I'm aware of at least two other ebuilds to do the
9 > same) :)
12 Yeah, that is certainly one approach. Part of me thinks that
13 modularizing the initramfs portion would be ideal, and as Benda
14 suggested making it possible to install the built sources might be
15 useful (if doing so one would need to patch the file that points to
16 the build location so that future module builds can find them). This
17 particular ebuild uses sources in /usr/src but I think it would be
18 cleaner to just fetch these into the build directory.
19
20 The package I find most frustrating is zfs-kmod, because it needs
21 fully-built sources and not just prepared sources. I build to a
22 tmpfs, and re-creating prepared sources using that approach is
23 trivial, but doing a full rebuild just to update zfs modules is a bit
24 painful (granted, less so now that I have 12 cores). I've been too
25 lazy to figure out why zfs needs them...
28 Rich