From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: Otttvio Pontes <otaviobp@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Multiple Repository Support in Portage - Report
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 04:06:15
1 On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 04:26:10PM -0300, Otttvio Pontes wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 22:49, Brian Harring <[1]ferringb@×××××.com>
3 > wrote:
4 > The reason I ask is that an overlay literally stacks repositories,
5 > slaves shadowing the master. If you do an emerge
6 > =dev-util/diffball-1.0 for the configuration above, you get local1's
7 > ebuild, not gentoo's. Repository atom's should not be able to
8 > bypass
9 > this- namely it violates the very nature of repository stacking.
10 >
11 > I see no reason to avoid this. Imagine if I use an overlay with some
12 > kde ebuilds. But, for some reason, i want to install kcalc from
13 > portage, and not from this overlay.
14 > Portage has this versions of kcalc: 4.4.2 and 4.4.3.
15 > And this overlay has the version: 4.4.3.
16 > If i try to emerge kcalc::gentoo in multirepo-portage it will install
17 > the kcalc-4.4.3, which is the newer version in portage.
18 > I don't think it's a good idea to install kcalc-4.4.2, because version
19 > 4.4.3 is in an overlay too.
20
21 Bluntly, if you don't want overlay stacking semantics, do not
22 configure it as an overlay then- configure the 'overlay' as a
23 standalone repository and specify preferred ordering.
24
25 Literally, you're trying to make overlays standalone via this logic.
26 You're trying to make overlays not *be* overlays.
27
28 The problem here is that PORTDIR_OVERLAY has historically forced
29 overlay stacking- you can't just change the semantics of those rules
30 and suddenly label them all as standalone, or create a quasi
31 overlay/standalone repo.
32
33 The purpose of multi-repos at it's core is to add in standalone
34 repositories- if people want those semantics for a repo, they
35 configure the repo as a standalone.
36
37 ~brian