From: Auke Booij <auke@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Two ideas: R package installer (CRAN) and per-user daemons
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 21:19:10
1 Petteri,
2
3 Thanks, there are indeed some solutions for users running X, but I
4 think a lot of services could benefit from being able to be started
5 without the user logging in (for example, webservers really should
6 launch clients' websites as fastcgi services at boot time) and without
7 having to run X anywhere.
8
9 As for who should handle this... there are some other ideas on the
10 ideas page concerning OpenRC, which I think is the most appropriate
11 project for this idea. And depending on the exact implementation, it
12 might very well be dependent upon the system's init.d software (in
13 this case OpenRC, but different distros use different systems). Ergo,
14 I'd say this idea does fit inside Gentoo's scope.
15
16 Auke.
17