From: Alexander Chekmarev <chekmarev.alex@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] fast boot, again
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2009 23:58:04
1 Hello,
2
3 There were a lot discussions on this topic. This is one more.
4 The main question for this task is "isn't three month too much for such very
5 documented and widely tested by many developers on many linux distributions
6 as this project". There are guides and detailed howto-s to make your system
7 boot faster. An informational snow slip making this topic, as for GSoC, a
8 bit "not serious".
9 As I see, the project, in gsoc limits, should aim to "ordinary user" or to
10 everyone a full complected tools set to speed up their system loading(on all
11 the levels where it possible).
12 Such a package could give opportunities on how fast you want to, and what to
13 load and what don't, &c. I don't want to see this project as just a magic
14 package speeding up my system booting, but a tool that I can use to decrease
15 boot time of my system, test it and decline changes if I want to. A GUI for
16 this tool would be also useful if one have a time to create it. It is also
17 good opportunity for students to get deep knowledge of known programs and
18 its structure. Anyway, if eventually a person who emerged "fastboot" and
19 probed it on his/her system won't say "wow! cool" but will see no changes at
20 all(as he/she guess) then these three month are spent for nothing.
21 All we want is just to improve our Linux! -D
22
23 just a thoughts, please, bring yours if any
24
25 Best,
26 Alex