From: Auke Booij <auke@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Re: Two ideas: R package installer (CRAN) and per-user daemons
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 15:25:12
1 I'd like to get more thoughts on this. Should it share code with
2 OpenRC (that's what makes init.d scripts work, right?), or be a
3 completely separate program? If it's a new program, should it use the
4 same init.d "standard"? I was also thinking of inter-user
5 dependencies, where system init.d scripts can depend on user init.d
6 scripts, and, if the other users allows this, users can depend others'
7 init.d scripts. Would such possibilities be useful? What about root
8 not allowing users to create new init.d scripts, but only launch an
9 existing one on their behalf (ie., root gives you a list of daemons
10 you can launch, but you cannot create your own)? I guess the
11 configuration files should be based on Bash (especially considering
12 some env variables could be useful)?
13
14 Thanks in advance for all your ideas,
15 tulcod.
16