From: Theo Chatzimichos <tampakrap@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Okupy - Report #2
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 03:48:54
1 This comes with a dealy, as I've been sick the past days. The LDAP related
2 code is 90% done. It now has the following features:
3
4 - Login to the system (report #1 explains in detail how login works). It
5 previously was using only the basic info (real name, primary email), but now
6 it is configurable to use more info, where the sysadmin is able to define in the
7 config files. This was easy to do, by creating a second dictionary to map the
8 django user profile fields with LDAP attributes.
9 - Signup. For this, an admin LDAP account is needed to be put in the config
10 file. The admin account, contrary to other backends, is used only to create new
11 users. Other LDAP implementations use that admin account for everything
12 though. So, now the user declares username/password, the anon account searches
13 if the user already exists (both the username and the email have to be
14 unique), and if not, it creates the account, using the same dictionary to map
15 django DB fields with LDAP attributes.
16 - User settings. There are some forms that allow the user to change his data.
17 This is done by using his own account, and not by using the admin account to
18 do that. A second password is being created for the session, since we didn't
19 want to cache the regular password. (again, report #1 has more info about it).
20 - Map LDAP ACL to Django groups. For that, a special multivalued attribute is
21 used, in gentoo it is called gentooAccess, which contains some *.group entries
22 that specify the user's special permissions. This gives the abillity to a
23 special team to touch other users' data, eg infra. While the mapping is
24 complete, the UI is not yet.
25
26 Other things that I did:
27
28 - I set up the service in one of my home servers, so that Matt can test it
29 too. The LDAP used there is very minimalistic.
30 - I gave Robin some cfengine patches for both the webapp and the LDAP (which
31 should be as much identical to the official as possible). They are not complete
32 yet though. Once the webapp is up and running in vulture ( the soc.dev server)
33 I'll be able to test it in our official configuration.
34
35 What I'm going to do during the weekend:
36
37 - Improve documentation (docstrings) and fire up sphinx
38 - Improve logging system
39 - I started writing some tests for the backend, I'm going to finish it, and
40 plus write tests for all the above as well.
41 - Create an ebuild to automate tests
42 - Finish the "touch other users' data" UI
43
44 After that, the LDAP system will be finished, and let the tests show me bugs.
45
46 Next week I'll start working on the website part, beginning with the LXML
47 parsing of our docs.
48 --
49 Theo Chatzimichos | blog.tampakrap.gr
50 Gentoo KDE/Qt, Planet, Overlays