From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Project Proposal : GenCC for "Gentoo Community Compiling"
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2013 14:43:59
1 On 02:20 Tue 19 Feb , Luca Barbato wrote:
2 > On 18/02/13 14:29, Antoine Pinsard wrote:
3 > > This is a very basic approach of the tool but I think it gives the main
4 > > idea of the projet. I would like to have your opinion on whether it
5 > > could be a gsoc project or not. And if it could, what backgrounds it
6 > > would require. I think this is much more about networking and security
7 > > than compiling (though it would require at least a basic knowledge of
8 > > distcc).
9 >
10 > You should study what had been done in the past (distcc, icecream etc)
11 > and figure out what they are lacking and why nobody is using them on a
12 > geographic network.
13 >
14 > Then you have the problem of building a ring of trust strong enough.
15 >
16 > And eventually you have to come to term with how compilers behave
17 > differently depending on a number of situations.
18 >
19 > Looks a quite good research project but I warn you not to expect quick
20 > or easy results.
21
22 I had a very similar idea around 10 years ago and spent a while looking
23 into the feasibility of it, along with a former Gentoo developer. We
24 called the idea p2pcc and created a Sourceforge project
25 <http://sourceforge.net/projects/p2pcc/> but the research showed that it
26 wasn't worthwhile at the time to write any code.
27
28 The problem in the end is that it wasn't really feasible on anything
29 besides a 100 MBit *minimum* connection with low latency, otherwise you
30 spent more time transferring files around than compiling them.
31
32 Today you could imagine it being potentially interesting if you think
33 about it in the context of public (or private) cloud living in shared
34 datacenters.
37 Thanks,
38 Donnie
39