From: Brian Dolbec <brian.dolbec@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Rework Porthole to use the new public portage API -- Weekly report #4
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 00:20:48
1 Detlev, I would continue implementing as much of the pkgcore backend as possible before creating replacements or missing functionality. That will give ferringb a chance to move and possibly offer other ways of doing it. In the meantime use portage for the missing func()'s.
2
3 Detlev Casanova <detlev.casanova@×××××.com> wrote:
4
5 >Hello everyone !
6 >
7 >This week, I almost finished working on the portage_2_2 backend's access
8 >functions.
9 >Thos functions are used to get information on packages and on the environment
10 >from the plugin (in this case, Portage 2.2).
11 >There is an exception for get_property() which currently loads up all
12 >properties for all packages and returns the one asked for.
13 >
14 >The next step for this backend is to implement actions : install, uninstall
15 >and update a package.
16 >
17 >The implementation of those actions in the portage API being not ready yet,
18 >I've also started working on the pkgcore plugin.
19 >Here, I have some troubles as to some functionalities are not present in
20 >pkgcore. Or at least, not accessible. To name a few, versions comparison, hard
21 >masking reason, package size. And I certainly haven't got into other ones. So
22 >the question is : do I use portage API's functions to do this or do I
23 >reimplement those ?
24 >
25 >Another possiblity could be to have functionalities not implemented in a
26 >backend and make porthole aware of it. Messages like "The Pkgcore backend does
27 >not support this feature" would be shown instead of the masking reason. Of
28 >course, functions like version comparison must be implemented.
29 >
30 >The API being a lot different from portage's, I found some functions that
31 >could be simplifyed or even removed, because they where doing something
32 >similar.
33 >
34 >As the project is reworking porthole (and not just interface qith a new
35 >backend system), there will be rework to remove and improve some functions
36 >too. Particularly, the best() methode which compares a list of versions (with
37 >no package name). Pkgcore allows me to compare versions with package name. I
38 >don't see the point in keeping the function that way.
39 >
40 >This week, I'll spend some time on studying for my last exam (Friday) and
41 >continue working on the pkgcore module.
44 >Detlev.