From: Jonas Bernoulli <jonas@×××××××.li>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Configuration managment system
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 15:39:26
1 On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 16:27, Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 26-03-2009 16:21:04 +0100, Fabian Groffen wrote:
3 >> Yeah, but what if git becomes out of fashion (which it seems to be at
4 >> the moment)?
5 >
6 > Sorry, this looks like I say git is getting outfashioned.
7
8 I was a bit surprised :-)
9
10 > I meant to
11 > say that git seems to be today's fashion, like SVN was a while ago, and
12 > totally isn't any more today.
13
14 Probably because SVN was designed to _fix_ CVS it has gone out of
15 fashion. Like dvcs zealots would say it has gone out of fashion
16 because it fixed something that can't be fixed but has to be redone.
17 Like hg, bzr, darcs and git have done.
18
19 I agree that git might go out of fashion. Or I might start prevering
20 darcs once I actually start experimenting with it. However first
21 limiting to one particular vc is just a pragmatic choice. It does not
22 mean that confsink should not contain any hooks to plugin another vc.
23
24 It's just that I want to get the git backend to work first and THEN
25 implement support for different backends.
26
27 It has been suggested that this project might be so small for soc, but
28 this desire to have multiple backends suggests that their are plenty
29 of things to do :-)