From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] libbash Weekly Update
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 10:51:10
1 On 21.7.2010 13.34, Luca Barbato wrote:
2 > On 07/20/2010 05:03 PM, Nathan Eloe wrote:
3 >> I'm fine with using autotools. I hadn't made the final decision yet (I
4 >> was going to work on the build system tomorrow), so with this
5 >> recommendation I will use that instead of cmake. I haven't used either
6 >> extensively (I know enough about both to do something very simple with
7 >> either), so changing the build system won't throw me off very much.
8 >>
9 >> Staying with straight C is not something I am as comfortable with. I've
10 >> talked with my mentor about it, and we've decided that since the GCC
11 >> does allow C++, it's a mature enough language to use.
12 >
13 > The problem is that it isn't. the gcc move to C++ might straight the
14 > things out in the long term. in the middle one I'd be quite wary of the
15 > outcome.
18 We prefer developer productivity over issues that might not even exist.
19 The project will not be mature enough to be used as the default by
20 Portage any time soon so the current way of doing this will stick
21 around. The current way could also be kept as a fallback for problematic
22 upgrades.
23
24 Regards,
25 Petteri