From: "Otávio Pontes" <otaviobp@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Fwd: Multiple Repository Support in Portage - Week 1 and 2
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 19:37:24
1 On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 23:57, Brian Dolbec <brian.dolbec@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2010-06-08 at 21:13 -0300, Otávio Pontes wrote:
3 >> Hi,
4 >>
5 >> I am writting my progress report for weeks 1 and 2.
6 >> My version of Portage is already loading repositories from repos.conf
7 >> and it’s still loading overlays from PORTDIR_OVERLAY. PORTDIR is still
8 >> the main repository, but it’s not necessary to set it in make.conf.
9 >> You can set that in repos.conf. I would like to change that, so we
10 >> will no longer need a main repository, but i think it will be too much
11 >> work, because PORTDIR variable is used all over portage code. PORTDIR
12 >> and PORTDIR_OVERLAY variables are updated with information loaded from
13 >> repos.conf, so it was easy to fix portage and other tools should work
14 >> without any changes.
15 >>
16 >> It's possible to set priorities for all repositories, even PORTDIR and
17 >> overlays, in repos.conf. The _local_repo_config class was replaced by
18 >> RepoConfigLoader and the code that used it in portdbapi is now using
19 >> directly this class. Treemap and _repository_map dicts in Portdbapi
20 >> are also no longer necessary because they are already defined in
21 >> RepoConfigLoader. So they are no longer created in portdbapi.
24 > Please keep them updated for now as they are used by consumer apps
25 > either directly or indirectly.  It will require deprecation time to
26 > migrate to the new system.  We will be implementing a new public API in
27 > portage that can be used as the primary access for consumer apps, but it
28 > will take time as it has not been coded yet, but will be in the next
29 > while.  It will also need to be connected to your new repo support.
30
31 My intention is to keep compatibility with odl versions of portage.
32 All variables were kept with their values updated. The only variable
33 that was removed is _local_repo_conf and _local_repo_conf_path.
34 Maybe it's a good idea to keep them too.
38 >> My code is available in
39 >> git://git.overlays.gentoo.org/proj/portage-multirepo.git or in
40 >> overlays.gentoo gitweb.
41 >>
42 >> --
43 >> Otávio Pontes