From: Oliver Schinagl <oliver@××××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Cc: Steev Klimaszewski <steev@g.o>, robbat2@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] GSoC - Upstart Progress report #1
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 12:36:56
1 Hey all,
2
3 Here is my first status update. And let me tell you, it couldn't have
4 gone worse.
5
6 After bad news, there is worse news.
7
8 I finally had a qemu setup running on my laptop (which runs Ubuntu 10.04
9 on an age old pentium-m that doesn't do hardware virt) and was getting
10 into installing a bare stage3 to be my starting point. I had also
11 checked out the OpenRC and Upstart repositories and was working through
12 them to figure out what they do, and how they work. I did all this on an
13 external USB IDE disk, as I have a really small SSD in my laptop. I was
14 figureing, once I have something workable, I'll store it on my server as
15 a backup and sources in a git repository.
16
17 Two days ago, I decided to run a mandatory fsck.ext4 on my harddisk, to
18 make sure all was still well, after unplugging the disk a few times and
19 what not. Just a precaution I figured really. So an hour later, my drive
20 was empty. There was some left over gunk in lost+found; but everything
21 was gone. Of course I didn't expect things to be possibly that bad.
22
23 But things have gotten worse! Yesterday, coming home from the weekend
24 over at my GF's place, I wanted to turn on my desktop. Nothing. The
25 power led came on, and that was it. No fans spinning, no harddisks
26 spinning, nothing. After using the multi-meter and shortening the
27 power_on pins, I can only find 3.3V on the +5VSB line and the rest ...
28 nothing. So my trusty old Zalman may have finally died. I contacted
29 Zalman for an RMA, but if shipping is to expensive, I may just buy a new
30 one :S
31
32 Wait, there is more. For some reason, the last 2 weeks (after 2 weeks
33 running fine) 1 disk keeps dropping from my raid array in my server.
34 /dev/sdi just stops existing. Either the LSI controller, or the disk is
35 to blame, so the disk is now running from the primary port on the
36 motherbord.
37
38 Lots of broken stuff, in just a few short days. Luckly, my laptop still
39 works (for now).
40
41 Oliver