From: Sreenatha Bhatlapenumarthi <sreenatha.dev@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Cc: ago@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] GSoC'13 : Accelerated security bug filing
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 07:23:58
1 Hi,
2
3 My name is Sreenatha Bhatlapenumarthi. I am a third year undergraduate
4 student majoring in computer science at IIIT-Hyderabad. I am interested in
5 participating in GSoC 2013 with Gentoo. I'd like to introduce myself and
6 the project I'm interested in working on.
7
8 I am new to Gentoo and have installed it only recently on my system. I
9 have worked on GUI development using pygtk for ASCEND as a part of GSoC
10 2012. Please find my project proposal summary here[0] and a list of my
11 contributions here[1].
12
13 I am interested in working on the "Accelerated security bug filing"
14 project[2] listed in the ideas page. After having gone through the
15 description provided, I understand that the project involves developing a
16 Gentoo client application for filing security bugs to reduce the number of
17 potential vulnerability windows. I would like to know more about the
18 project and how I can go about it. Here are a couple of questions I have
19 regarding the project:
20
21 1. Is the application supposed to be used for filing generic bugs or
22 security-related bugs in specific?
23 2. What kind of interface should the application provide to the user in
24 terms of the input fields? Is it similar to [3] (after logging in) ?
25 3. If not, how exactly are the bugs reported by the user through the
26 application? Some use cases would be really helpful.
27 4. Are the reported bugs filed at bugs.gentoo.org? If yes, should the user
28 be authenticated from within the application?
29 5. Are there are any simple bugs that you think I should try fixing?
30 6. What do you think of this as a project for GSoC'13(priority, duration,
31 difficulty etc)?
32
33 I have created a sample mockup[4] for the application's GUI. Please look
34 into it and let me know if there is something wrong/missing. I have also
35 installed pybugz on my system and have written a small GUI application[5]
36 in pygtk that uses pybugz to search for gentoo-bugs based on a given
37 keyword.
38
39 Thank you for taking your time out to read this. Please let me know if you
40 think there is something I should know about or improve upon.
41
42 [0] -
43 http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/project/google/gsoc2012/sreenatha/19001
44 [1] - http://ascend4.org/User:SreenathaB