From: Joel <xy2msw@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] GSoC 2017 Introduction (Better Rust support for Gentoo)
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2017 15:14:55
1 Hello everyone,
2
3 my name is Joel and I'm a CS student from Germany, I applied to the project
4 idea
5 of integrating full Rust support into Gentoo.
6 My goal is to turn the setup of Rust version, channel and toolchain
7 configurations
8 as well as the creation of ebuilds from Cargo packages, into an easy and
9 seamless experience under Gentoo. I also plan to create compatibility
10 between Portage and rustup.rs. I will implement the tools necessary to
11 achieve this goal.
12
13 I am relatively new to Gentoo, and Unix systems in general, but it really
14 sparked my interest in Linux a few years ago and since then I use Gentoo on
15 a
16 daily basis on one of my machines.
17
18 I want to participate mainly to gather experience and because it is an
19 opportunity
20 to combine two topics that I really like, which also means that I consider
21 myself dedicated.
22 At the same time I wish to give something back to both the Gentoo and Rust
23 community by making their collaboration easier for everyone.
24
25 Best Regards