From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] PMS Test Suite, weekly report #10 (midterm sumup)
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 03:43:57
1 On 13:11 Sun 17 Jul , Michał Górny wrote:
2 > The other side effect is the 'gentoopm' project [2,3], providing
3 > an unified API to access all three PMs mentioned earlier. Right now, my
4 > main focus is implementing new interfaces there, and moving the code
5 > out of PMSTS to it.
6 >
7 > Right now, gentoopm has already made its first release into the tree,
8 > and became used in smart-live-rebuild [4]. It is already able to find
9 > packages in basic kinds of repositories, get their metadata and read
10 > environment.bz2 files. It can work with atoms too.
11 >
12 > I'd like to make it able to construct (and use) PM tool calls for
13 > various operations like installing and uninstall packages. It's going
14 > to use a flexible interface, making it easy to fit into various working
15 > environments -- printing argv, running through subprocess, glib event
16 > loop, threads and so on.
17
18 You might be interested in checking out what parts of the portage API
19 are used by the Gentoo PackageKit backend, and making sure those are
20 supported in gentoopm. Even more interesting would be completing a port
21 of the PK backend to gentoopm. This latter part is clearly beyond the
22 scope of your project, but it would be really useful after the summer
23 ends.
26 Thanks,
27 Donnie
28