From: Mo Zhou <lumin@××××××.org>
To: heroxbd@g.o
Cc: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] [GSoC] Weekly Report : May 27-June 2 -- BLAS/LAPACK Runtime Switch
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2019 14:06:05
1 Hi Benda,
2
3 During May 9 - May 27, I created a demonstration overlay
4 for our initial implimentation [3] (eselect + symlink).
5 The C++ demo program shipped by that git repo suggests
6 the draft implementation is working correctly.
7
8 During May 27 - June 2, I posted about the proposed
9 solution on Gentoo-dev to wait for comments. Unfortunately,
10 it seems that simply porting Debian's solution to Gentoo
11 is not the best choice, and there are people against it.
12
13 I redesigned the solution based on ld.so.conf:
14
15 1. sci-libs/lapack could expose all its shared objects
16 and headers in the public dirs (i.e. /usr/include,
17 /usr/$(get_libdir)/ ).
18
19 2. optimized implementations build additional libblas.so
20 and liblapack.so objects with patched build systems.
21 We hint ld.so with ld.so.conf via eselect, so any
22 program linked against libblas.so and liblapack.so
23 could make use of this mechanism.
24
25 The second point is different from our private discussion
26 in telegram. And different from my draft implementation,
27 the redesigned solution will introduce a new USE flag for
28 BLAS/LAPACK reverse dependencies to decide whether the
29 program should link against switchable BLAS/LAPACK or
30 specified BLAS/LAPACK.
31
32 Although there are negative responses against the first
33 proposal, we are not far from the original schedule --
34 this week I'm going to implement the redesigned solution
35 for sci-libs/lapack and ask Gentoo-dev for comments again.
36
37 Thanks,
38 Mo.
39
40 Reference:
41
42 1. Drawback of the eselect+symlink solution:
43 https://bugs.gentoo.org/632618
44 2. The eselect+ld.so.conf solution: https://bugs.gentoo.org/531842
45 3. My Overlay: https://github.com/cdluminate/my-overlay