From: Philipp Riegger <lists@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Improved binary package support
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 10:33:22
1 On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 08:46:51 +0200
2 mmacleod@××××××××××.za wrote:
3
4 > > only one use flag combination you are looking at ~0451
5 > Sorry this should read:
6 > "only one cflag combination you are looking at ~10451"
7
8 Where did you get that number? Did you really compile everything in the
9 tree? Well, I don't think that's needed. I use FEATURES="buildpackage"
10 on all my machines. My headless server uses 1.2 GB, my workstation with
11 GNOME, KDE 4.2 and stuff like firefox, tunderbird, octave, openoffice
12 and much more uses 6.0 GB and my second, more minimal desktop uses 1.7
13 GB. I did not run eclean-pkg in a while, so that should be much more
14 than I really need.
15
16 So, if you start with, say, some basic i686 profile and really basic
17 CFLAGS and not build too much stuff (Desktop environments, FF, TB, OOo)
18 it should not use too much diskspace. From there it would be really
19 interesting to share packages, I think. We definitively have some
20 packages, that do not depend on architecture. If somebody wants to have
21 different USE-flags it would be interesting to just build the packages
22 with the different USE-flags again, not everything.
23
24 In my opinion, the ultimate goal would be to provide software that any
25 organization running Gentoo Linux (a school, university, company) could
26 set up their own buildserver and either let other people mirror that
27 once a day or something (minimizing traffic) or provide the packages to
28 anybody who wants them on a server. Sometimes these organizations will
29 employ Gentoo developers or the responsible guy there will become one,
30 then he could set up some infrastructure to sign packages and they
31 could be trusted.
32
33 Philipp