From: "Yuan Liao (Leo)" <liaoyuan@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Week 6 Report for Big Data Infrastructure and H2O ebuilds Project
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2021 06:24:37
1 > Thanks! We actually don't really care much about Java (haven't used it
2 > seriously since College), and haven't even been involved in Gentoo GSoC
3 > in a decade, but we're glad we stay on this list for things like this.
4 > It's really nice seeing someone who still has that spark of interest in
5 > computer things. We do happen to like graph theory and network analysis
6 > and time complexity and such, but haven't really been able to apply it
7 > in "the real world" of tech companies. Every time we try to do things
8 > "the right way" with real computer science, coworkers and bosses just
9 > say "just hack something together".
12 > Oh well, thanks for what you're doing,
13 >
14 > -A
15
16 It is wonderful to hear from people who have been involved in Gentoo
17 GSoC before! Thanks for sharing this with us. I guess it would be
18 reasonable to say that little of the knowledge pertaining to low-level
19 details taught in the classroom could have a chance to be applied in
20 solving a real-world problem. I was wrecked by a self-balancing tree
21 implementation problem in my midterm exam for a data structure class,
22 but that would not affect my ability to write a working program which
23 uses self-balancing trees because I can just borrow an existing
24 implementation of the data structure built by others. That said,
25 knowing how things happen under the hood is still useful in
26 programming and optimizing for efficiency.
27
28 Thanks,
29 Leo
30