From: "Diego Elio Pettenò" <flameeyes@×××××××××.eu>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] GSoC 2013: Log collector
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 07:28:30
1 Hi Antanas,
2
3 On 29/04/2013 02:48, Antanas Uršulis wrote:
4 > I've tried to assess what this project would involve, maybe this could
5 > be a starting point for the proposal. A lot of this describes how the
6 > current solution works, so changes might be necessary:
7
8 Most likely, yes.
9
10 > - conceptually the system should have 3 components: a log
11 > collector&analyser, a storage backend and a frontend
12
13 Correct.
14
15 > - it would be integrated with portage:
16 > --- portage would implement a client which can submit logs to the
17 > collector, possibly providing information why the package failed
18 > --- this connection between portage and the collector should rely on
19 > as little as possible (because any packages providing that
20 > functionality might break)
21
22 Also correct.
23
24 > --- it should support IPv6 because that's what is used between the
25 > container on the tinderbox and the box itself (here's a question
26 > though: any technical reason why IPv6 was used? I admit I didn't look
27 > into this too deeply)
28
29 Yeah the technical reason is actually two fold:
30
31 - the host for the tinderboxes only has one IPv4 address, so it was
32 either NAT or IPv6; given that the tinderbox runs isolated networking
33 through proxy to stop packages using network at build time, NAT was not
34 a great idea; using IPv6 means that I can still jump on the hosts either
35 from another IPv6-enabled system or, like in my previous and current
36 office, straight from my IPv6-enabled workstation;
37 - by using IPv6, the name of the tinderbox is found simply by doing a
38 reverse-lookup of the address, as all the tinderboxes have proper records.
39
40 > - the collector & analyser:
41 > --- receives logs over some protocol
42 > --- should be able to group logs (receive several log files for a
43 > failing package and keep them together) (this, depending on the
44 > implementation, might be part of the portage integration)
45 > --- matches each line against a regexp, we can look into something
46 > more extensible if required
47 > --- organises the files by hostname and submits them to the storage backend
48
49 Also correct.
50
51 > - the storage backend:
52 > --- I could start with Amazon's AWS and then move to something
53 > standalone (how much data is there to store, actually? 1/10/100 GB?
54 > and how large can a single log file become?)
55
56 I've seen log files getting over 1GB (yes I know it's crazy) but that's
57 relatively rare. I don't have a quick assessment of the total storage
58 over the past year unfortunately.
59
60 > --- keeps the logs and also a simple database that would hold
61 > information about the log groups (package, date, links to log files,
62 > etc.)
63
64 Correct.
65
66 > - the frontend:
67 > --- displays a list of packages that have matches
68 > --- should be integrated with bugzilla; one can see open bugs for a
69 > selected package, and also file a new bug
70 > --- should be password protected
71
72 Also correct. Do note that one of the things that the frontend has to do
73 is being able to _attach_ the data rather than just link to it (which is
74 what I've been doing myself up to now).
75
76 > Comments/additions greatly appreciated. Now, regarding the Gentoo
77 > application template, I have actually a long time ago submitted a
78 > one-line workaround patch[1] for openoffice, but that probably doesn't
79 > qualify. Could you point me (general direction is ok) towards
80 > something I could fix for my application?
81
82 I'm not sure if it makes much sense to sweat fixing something, given
83 that we're talking about writing a series of webapps and systems. It
84 might be better for you to point at any kind of similar work you ever done.
87 Diego Elio Pettenò — Flameeyes
88 flameeyes@×××××××××.eu — http://blog.flameeyes.eu/