From: "Sébastien Fabbro" <bicatali@g.o>
To: Auke Booij <auke@××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Re: Two ideas: R package installer (CRAN) and per-user daemons
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 16:46:27
1 On Thursday 18 March, Auke Booij wrote:
2
3 > 1. R package installer (also see gentoo-wiki.com). R has a lot of
4 > additional packages, so it is not feasible to manually create and
5 > maintain ebuilds for all of them. There are a number of databases
6 > containing these additional packages, including CRAN and Bioconductor.
7 > Three reasonable solutions are: 1. create a big ebuild with loads and
8 > loads of USE flags which compiles and installs the wanted R packages
9 > as one big package (not the best, since this is exactly what we want
10 > to avoid with Gentoo, and we would indeed need loads of use flags), 2.
11 > generate ebuilds for all packages (this would need regular running of
12 > scripts, and would probably need for its own overlay), 3. install to
13 > the filesystem without letting the package manager know about anything
14 > (ehm... I guess this is not a reasonable solution, after all). Are
15 > there any ideas about how to solve this, and how R usually installs
16 > them? Sebastien fabbro, I cc'd you, are you still interested in
17 > mentoring this?
18
19 Hi,
20
21 CRAN/Bioconductor support in Gentoo is definitely something worth
22 exploring and has been requested by several Gentoo users.
23 Solutions 1. and 3. are not something I would pursue. With the
24 thousands R packages to deal with, you would want either on-the-fly
25 ebuild generation or the package manager to directly deal with the CRAN
26 format (which is I think what the paludis folks started doing until CRAN
27 changed its format again). Any solution leading to complex handling,
28 the users will return to the R CMD INSTALL quickly.
29 Keep in mind that one of the main reason not to use the R default
30 package management system but a Gentoo one is to get R-external
31 dependencies from the portage tree.
32
33 I am not sure I will find time to mentor the full Summer. If anyone
34 applying for this project makes a good application, I'll push this to
35 my fellow devs to give a hand in the mentoring process.
38 Sebastien