From: Arne Babenhauserheide <arne_bab@×××.de>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Cc: Philipp Riegger <lists@××××××××××××.de>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] About improved binary package support
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 09:49:16
1 Am Montag 30 März 2009 16:37:09 schrieb Philipp Riegger:
2 > > Or add another group of trusted builders, who sign their packages
3 > > with GnuPG.
4 >
5 > And how will you find and identify trustworthy people?
6
7 The same way we find trusted devs, but with laxer coding ability requirements.
8
9 > > For convenience it would be great, if people could tellportage their
10 > > builder- ID and have portage upload generated packages automatically.
11 >
12 > Are you crazy? That would lead to hundreds od users uploading the same
13 > package with a different signature, because no one can trust the
14 > other.
15 >
16 > > That way we'd avoid building any package with teh same configuration
17 > > twice.
18 >
19 > So if my package with the backdoor gets uploaded first, I win?
20
21 If you managed to get into the trusted group, then you can wreak havoc, sure.
22
23 Others already answered better than me, why this currently isn't an issue.
24
25 > This is totally unimportant. Sure, technically it can be done, but you
26 > can never make it secure without really checking who is allowed to
27 > upload packages or using centrally managed servers. And in the first
28 > case you get much too much overhead.
29
30 You could simply check whose packages you trust.
31
32 > > Besides: One advantage of the Hash over all active USE flags as
33 > > opposed to a bitvector of all USE flags is that this Hash will be the
34 > > same for all packages with the same active USE flags, so there will
35 > > be a lower number of distinct USE hashes. That way they can more
36 > > easily be used to query for packages (that's a possible optimization
37 > > for p2p: search by package name + version + USE hash + Host SLOT).
38 >
39 > That is wrong. The function creating the packed binary vector is
40 > nothing but a reversible hash function. You take the activated
41 > USE-flags and the package name and version and get the "hash",
42
43 I would simply use only the active USE flags to get the USE Hash and keep the
44 package name and version in the name - and out of the hash (I think something
45 got muddled up in discussion here).
46
47 > There is exactly one problem I know of with my approach, which I
48 > already mentioned but no one seems to be interested in: It needs a
49 > fixed set of USE-flags per package name and version, or it needs to be
50 > extended/it can become ambiguous. But this is just a policy that can be
51 > enforced if people see the benefit.
52
53 The available USE flags are defined in the ebuilds. They can change at any
54 moment, but as far as I know you then get a new version of the ebuild (i.e.
55 ...-r2.ebuild). (If I'm wrong, please write so!)
56
57 But though I prefer using a hash for the USE flags, this is really no hard
58 blocker - and it's certainly not worth that we squabble over it.
59
60 If you want to implement it as a bitvector and this will have no disadvantages
61 over using a hash (no added maintenance cost, no missing possibilities and no
62 restrictions on the workflow of ebuild maintainers), then just use a bitvector
63 - but make sure it's encoded filename- and url-safe.
64
65 Best wishes,
66 Arne
67 --