From: Gunwant Jain <therealgunwant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Weekly Report: Portage Powered Android
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2020 11:39:49
1 Hello,
2 This week, I had quite some progress on my GSoC project.
3 The task scheduled was to provide a `preinit` which could boot Gentoo in System-As-Root enabled phones.
4 I completed that for good using the `magiskboot` tool, by hexpatching the kernel for such devices [1].
5 I faced some issues after patching the kernel as well, resolving them without the access of a serial console was inconvenient but achieved nevertheless. I have written extensive blogs, explaining the entire journey of doing it [2]. Overall, the process of using preinit is now streamlined and simple.
6
7 Apart from this, I have written a blog on the boot-mechanisms different versions of Android have. My blogs would be the primary source of watching my activity on GSoC, apart from the irc of-course.
8
9 The next task scheduled for week 1-2 was to boot Android in a container in the Gentoo land. I am pleased to inform that we have achieved that goal as well. It is in barebones presently, but everything (RIL, camera, etc.) works inside the Android container.
10 For the upcoming week, I will be writing a new `init` for bringing support to almost every boot-mechanism Google has experimented with. This would also help the project in being very scalable because we would have a single point of maintainence.
11
12 Regards,
13 Gunwant Jain
16 [1] https://gitlab.com/WantGuns/sar-preinit