From: Benda Xu <heroxbd@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc <gentoo-soc@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Week 8 Report for Refining ROCm Packages in Gentoo
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2022 16:44:35
1 wuyy <xgreenlandforwyy@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > I'm back on GSoC after a two-week temporary leave.
4 >
5 > This week there are two major progress: dev-util/rocprofiler and
6 > rocm.eclass.
7 >
8 > I have implemented all the functions I think necessary for rocm.eclass.
9 > It was just send to rocm.eclass draft to gentoo-dev mailing list (also
10 > with a Github PR at [1]), please have a review. In the following weeks,
11 > I will collect feedbacks and continue to polish it.
12 >
13 > In summary, I have implemented those functions which is listed in my
14 > proposal:
15 > - USE_EXPNAD of amdgpu_targets_, and ROCM_USEDEP to make the use flag
16 > coherent among dependencies;
17 > - rocm_src_configure contains common arguments in src_prepare;
18 > - rocm_src_test which checks the permission on /dev/kfd and
19 > /dev/dri/render*
20 >
21 > [...]
22 >
23 > Actually I have never imagined rocm.eclass could be in this shape
24 > eventually. Initially I just thought it would provide some utilities,
25 > mainly src_test and USE_EXPAND. But when implementing I found all these
26 > feature requires careful treatment. The comments (mainly examples) also
27 > takes half of the length. It ends up in 278 lines, which is a
28 > middle-sized among current eclasses. Maybe it can be further trimmed
29 > down after polishing, because there could be awkward implementations or
30 > re-inventions in it.
31 >
32 > Based on my draft rocm.eclass, I have prepared sci-libs/roc*=5.1.3,
33 > sci-lib/hip-*-5.1.3 and dev-python/cupy making use of it. It feels great
34 > to simplify the ebuilds, and portage can handles the USE_EXPAND and
35 > dependencies just as expected. Once the rocm.eclass get in tree, I'll
36 > push those ROCm-5.1.3 ebuilds.
37 >
38 > [...]
39 >
40 > According to the renewed proposal (I have been leaving for two weeks,
41 > so there are changes in plan), I should collect feedback and refine
42 > rocm.eclass, and prepare dev-python/cupy and sci-libs/rocWMMA. I'll
43 > investigate ROCgdb, too. Also, rocm-device-libs is a major package
44 > because many users relies on it to provide opencl. I'll work on
45 > bumping its version, too. What's more, with hip-5.1.3 against vanilla
46 > clang, rocm for blender can land in ::gentoo.
47
48 Nice progress! We will put the eclass the highest priority.
49
50 Benda