From: Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek.chauhan@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Project Grumpy - weekly report #1
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2010 10:16:50
1 On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 1:41 PM, Arun Raghavan <arunissatan@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 1 June 2010 12:40, Priit Laes <plaes@×××××.org> wrote:
3 > [...]
4 >> Anyway, I'll leave this idea simmering here for a while and unless
5 >> someone comes up with a better idea (Yes, I have also thought about
6 >> scanning whole portage tree every x-hours), I'm going to implement the
7 >> daemon.
8 >
9 > My 2p - I don't see a major advantage of a monitoring daemon over a
10 > periodic full-scan, or caching the mtimes. IMO that the latter options
11 > are better on the grounds that you're not introducing an additional
12 > entity (Occam's Razor, KISS, etc. etc.), and afaics there is no
13 > significant gain of the daemon - inotify watches are not going to
14 > imply immediate updates since your tree updates will be periodic
15 > anyway.
18 I agree with Arun here, you can easily schedule the server to run the
19 grumpy update whenever an eix-sync (or cvs up) is done. No point
20 running a monitoring daemon when you know exactly when something will
21 be updated.
25 ~Nirbheek Chauhan
26
27 Gentoo GNOME+Mozilla Team