From: Robert Seaton <seatonr@××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Project Glentoo: Weekly Progress Report #5
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 23:46:51
1 Hi, all.
2
3 Project Glentoo is a GSoC 2011 project to combine a Plan 9 inspired
4 userspace on top of a Gentoo-base system.
5
6 My status report is also available at
7 http://www.rs.io/summer-status-report-week-5/
8
9 Screenshot: http://www.rs.io/images/plan9fromgentoo_gui.png
10
11 After a fair amount of fighting with Catalyst, X11 integration is
12 complete. The screenshot probably explains Glentoo’s progress best. As
13 you can see, X is working. X starts on boot and runs the rio window
14 manager from Plan 9. One can then manipulate and create windows just
15 as you would on Plan 9. Along with rio, all the Plan 9 applications
16 from the plan9port package are available and can be used.
17
18 Getting X11 set up and running were the primary accomplishments on
19 this week. However, I also set up a Plan 9 virtual machine so that I
20 can compare Plan 9’s native behavior with the behavior of Glentoo. In
21 addition, I put in place the scripts to bring up X and rio when the
22 liveCD image is booted.
23
24 For the upcoming week, I intend to flesh things out so that more
25 applications are started on boot to help users get a feel for Glentoo.
26 I’m also going to work on things like adding a start up message and a
27 short “tutorial” on Plan 9’s different paradigms. Further, during the
28 upcoming week, I intend to work on figuring out what pieces of Plan 9
29 still need to be ported to Glentoo to offer a satisfactory end user
30 experience.
31
32 I also intend to add the Firefox web browser to the liveCD image,
33 seeing as one of the plan9port applications (web) requires it. In
34 addition, I’m going to look into bundling Glentoo’s spec files and
35 Catalyst with Glentoo so that it will be self-hosting. That way users
36 will be able to boot up Glentoo and use it to generate customized
37 Glentoo images very easily.
38
39 In addition, I’m thinking that I may attempt to include the different
40 tools that encompass the Go language’s ecosystem. While Plan 9 may not
41 have support for Go, Go’s roots can be traced to Inferno — Plan 9’s
42 successor, and both Go and Plan 9 share a developer: Rob Pike.
43 Including Go seems like a natural evolution and might help foster
44 adoption of both Glentoo and Go. My thinking is that users interested
45 in trying out Go would be able to boot Glentoo and just start writing
46 programs instead of trying to set up a working dev environment on
47 their local machines.
48
49 I’m still waiting for Robin to get back to me, but I’ve also put in a
50 request for a project page. That’s another one of the things that I
51 intend to work on during the upcoming week.
52
53 I thought that it would take another week to get to this point, so now
54 I’m about a week ahead of schedule. By mid-term, I want to have a
55 fully fleshed out project page and a mostly feature complete Glentoo
56 image generated. That way I will be able to focus on adding features
57 to make Glentoo more compelling during the second half of GSoC.
58
59 Cheers,
60 rps