From: Mu Qiao <qiaomuf@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] libbash weekly report #10
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 09:32:56
1 Finally I have done with the backtracking removal. Now doing semantic
2 predicate is much easier. With this change, I successfully supported
3 here document, which was the biggest blocker before I started this work.
4 In addition, the performance is better. I used valgrind to get
5 performance comparison. Here is the output of ms_print (post-processing
6 tool for Massif) before and after backtracking removal: before[1],
7 after[2]. I reduced about 38% memory usage and got the library run 20%
8 faster.
9
10 What I have done in the past week:
11
12 Completed the work on the new parser and incorporated it to our project
13 Improved parameter expansion parsing and its runtime
14 Improved built-in and keyword test
15 Improved the runtime for case statement
16 Improved arithmetic expansion
17 Improved the local built-in
18 Fixed some minor problems in compound statement and parameter expansion
19 Reimplemented the export built-in
20 Removed several tokens to avoid conflicts
21 Improved here document and here string
22 Fixed single quoted string in command substitution
23
24 In the following week, I will:
25
26 Get backtracking removal pushed
27 Fix our instruo implementation (now it crashes with the new grammar)
28 Improve process substitution
29 Support redirection without any command
30 Reimplement the local built-in
31 Fix some minor problems in variable expansion and bash test
32 Remove some composite tokens
33
34 I started working on this project early and I will start seeking a job
35 soon (I’ll soon graduate from my university). So Petteri and I agreed to
36 end the GSoC on 08.06. As a result, this is the last iteration of this
37 year’s GSoC. I’ll write one more regular report and a final report
38 before the end. I’ll continue my work on this project as soon as I get a
39 job :).
40
41 [1] http://dev.gentoo.org/~qiaomuf/massif.before
42 [2] http://dev.gentoo.org/~qiaomuf/massif.after
45 Best wishes,
46 Mu Qiao
47 GnuPG fingerprint: 92B1 B0C4 8D14 F8C4 EFA5 3ACC 30B3 0DE4 17B1 57E9