From: Patrick Lerner <xqyzii@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Graphical portage front-end
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 22:14:58
1 On Sat, 2010-03-20 at 09:02 -0700, Brian Dolbec wrote:
2 > [..] As for it not being pushed in the main tree, Zac
3 > informed me that there were some problems with it that needs a proper
4 > API in portage for it to be stable and reliable. He also intends to
5 > implement it ( as have others in previous years), but he is only one
6 > person, already busy with the core development of portage.
7 >
8 > If there is to be a project to with portage it should be the
9 > implementation of a proper public API for apps to use such as porthole,
10 > portato, himerge, etc..
11
12 Is there like any information out on how the communication between
13 client and portage would work? As in "Portage Daemon" or something along
14 the lines of python bindings?
15 In case I can help (with no previous experiences on creating public
16 APIs), I'd be glad to do so even outside the scope of SoC.
17
18 > If you want to work on a gtk
19 > interface, I could always use more help with porthole, Necoro is
20 > extremely busy with schooling and could use help with portato. I
21 > haven't talked with araujo enough to know if he needs help with himerge.
22
23 I've looked into Porthole, which looks pretty similar to what I had in
24 mind when proposing a GTK portage front-end, so I'm going to look into
25 it a bit more.
26 Something I've actually wanted to do is having some kind of
27 background-process which would take care of syncing your tree and inform
28 you about outstanding updates similar to the update managers of Ubuntu
29 or Windows (systray icon + notify, like evolution does it with new
30 mail).
31 In Porthole all I found was the big upgrade button which immediatly
32 installed everything without even giving me a list of which updates are
33 there.
34 Nevertheless, kudos on the project, I'll look into contributing
35 something to it if I can, too.
36
37 --Patrick Lerner