From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] (draft) final report for OpenRC soc project 2012
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 18:13:13
1 On 8/21/12 4:07 PM, heroxbd@×××××.com wrote:
2 > For monitoring against OOM http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Monit
3
4 So monit could be integrated in openrc easily ?
5
6 > cron/at is too general to document, there is one at
7 >
8 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/cron-guide.xml
9
10 Agreed.
11
12 > upstart is designed to replace cron
13 >
14 > http://upstart.ubuntu.com/wiki/ReplaceCron
15 >
16 > systemd recommends to replace cron
17 >
18 > http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/Optimizations
19 >
20 > while OpenRC just work with it. For some fancy new feature to be used on
21 > non-servers, like "run every 5 minutes after start up", fcron can be
22 > used.
23
24 Not sure exactly what should we add here.
25
26 >>>> 5. event driven actions
27 >>>>
28 >>>> Same as hotplug feature already in OpenRC, triggered by udev, just
29 >>>> lack of documentation. If used with runlevel stacking (another under
30 >>>> documented feature of OpenRC), it can cover all the use cases I could
31 >>>> imagine.
32 >>>>
33 >>>> That's enough. upstart features a udev-upstart-bridge after all. It
34 >>>> is a cool feature and we can adopt it with a combo of tools and
35 >>>> achieve sane default behavior by packaging with, e.g., our beloved
36 >>>> ebuild. The revolutionary event based init design is more of
37 >>>> propaganding, IMHO.
38 >>>
39 >>> I'd like to see a wiki page or some more on that =)
40 >>
41 >> Got it, underway...
42 >
43 > A stub page is below. Still thinking of how to present it. May be we can
44 > just load it with examples which covers all the cases upstart being
45 > proud of.
46 >
47 > http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/OpenRC/Event_Driven
48