From: Rafael Martins <rafael@×××××××××××××××××.br>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Distfile patching support - Weekly report #9
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 19:47:59
1 On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 10:30 AM, Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 18:09 Fri 29 Jul     , Rafael Martins wrote:
3 >> I'm also writing a helper tool, called distpatchq, inspired by
4 >> portageq, that will provide info about the deltas and distfiles to the
5 >> package managers willing to implement distfile patching support.
6 >
7 > Wouldn't package managers prefer an API rather than a helper tool?
10 Yes. Actually the Python API of the tools is usable by package
11 managers, but this won't work for paludis, I guess. I'm just
12 implementing Portage support for now, though.
13
14 On the other hand, I want to be able to change the internal API, if
15 needed. In this case, I need a helper tool or a stable public API will
16 be required. I picked the first to make the things easy for all the
17 package managers.
18
19 Best regards,
22 Rafael Goncalves Martins