From: Michael Gilroy <Michael.Gilroy@××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Cc: soc-admins@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Progress Report: MPI Overlay, Week 3
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2017 14:29:51
1 Hi,
2
3 *Summary:*
4
5 This week I worked towards a much better mpi-providers eclass and started
6 the framework for the mpi-select.
7
8 Last week's plan:
9 1) 2ND ECLASS: solidify design, verify with mentors. I expect the 2nd
10 eclass to take a few weeks to complete.
11 2) properly implement mpi-providers eclass for more mpi implementations,
12 write patches accordingly
13 3) refactor/modularize 1st eclass
14 4) start proper documentation (formatted in markdown)
15
16 mpi-providers (1st eclass) is nearing completion- I believe just some more
17 error handling is needed. As per conversations/meetings with mentors, the
18 2nd eclass design is making a lot more sense, and I will begin writing
19 non-pseudocode this week.
20
21 Next week's plan:
22 1) Start working towards multiplexed & multilib installs for mpi-select.
23 2) Start testing new mpi-select against mpich and openmpi implementations,
24 seeing if both implementations can be installed against something like hpl.
25 3) Refine wiki/documentation for the project
28 *Day-by-day breakdown:*
29 *June 12th:*
30 1. What was my plan for today?
31 a) Discuss progress of mpi-select eclass on Monday, get design criticism.
32 b) Discuss & further test sysconfdir implementations.
33 2. Did I achieve it? If not, what do I intend to do about it?
34 a) Completed- I now have design guidance. I will be tinkering with
35 multilib/multilib-minimal to try and understand that implementation.
36 b) Testing. Will give details if this continues to be a pain.
37 3. What is my plan for tomorrow?
38 a) Progress was made on safe_mv without the use of rsync. Test this
39 further. Currently in the dev branch. If properly tested, merge with
40 master.
41 b) Sysconfdir setting is still an issue. Test this, if it is still
42 failing, write a detailed email about the problems.
43
44 *June 13th:*
45 1. What was my plan for today?
46 a) Progress was made on safe_mv without the use of rsync. Test this
47 further. Currently in the dev branch. If properly tested, merge with
48 master.
49 b) Sysconfdir setting is still an issue. Test this, if it is still
50 failing, write a detailed email about the problems.
51 c) Continue exploring multilib/multilib-minimal implementation to get
52 inspiration for mpi-select design. Start setting up framework for
53 exported functions.
54 2. Did I achieve it? If not, what do I intend to do about it?
55 a) Completed. Changes are merged with master.
56 b) Completed. Sysconfdir is properly set, will add documentation on usage
57 to wiki.
58 c) Work in progress. This will take a bit to properly figure out.
59 3. What is my plan for tomorrow?
60 a) Continue exploring multilib implementations, debug exactly what the
61 eclasses are doing and why they are doing it.
62 b) Try to have mentors review 1st eclass, as it is nearing completion.
63 c) Continue working on skeleton for 2nd eclass.
64 d) Expand upon the wiki page.
65
66 *June 14th:*
67 1. What was my plan for today?
68 a) Continue exploring multilib implementations, debug exactly what the
69 eclasses are doing and why they are doing it.
70 b) Try to have mentors review 1st eclass, as it is nearing completion.
71 c) Continue working on skeleton for 2nd eclass.
72 d) Expand upon the wiki page.
73 2. Did I achieve it? If not, what do I intend to do about it?
74 a) Work in progress. I will continue tinkering tomorrow.
75 b) Incomplete. I would like to clean up my repo with repoman tomorrow, and
76 stick to best practices from here on out. I will be doing this and emailing
77 the mentors tomorrow.
78 c) Complete. I hope to get heavy criticism.
79 d) Work in progress. Once I make it look prettier, there will be more to
80 add as I continue my work.
81 3. What is my plan for tomorrow?
82 a) Make repoman happy.
83 b) Email mentors regarding 1st eclass review, among other things in our
84 email thread.
85 c) Continue multilib tinkering.
86 d) Receive feedback on mpi-select.eclass and start on new iteration of
87 eclass skeleton
88
89 *June 15th:*
90 *Today's plans:*
91
92 Make repoman happy.
93
94 - Work in progress. There has been some repository refactoring, but repoman
95 is still yelling about ebuild syntax. Hoping to wrap this up tomorrow.
98 Email mentors regarding 1st eclass review, among other things in our email
99 thread.
100
101 - Completed. As per my weekly meeting with Andrew, I have my work cut out
102 for me for the foreseeable future :) . Will continue to email with
103 questions.
106 Continue multilib tinkering.
107
108 Work in progress. Expect commits regarding debuggin output tomorrow.
111 Receive feedback on mpi-select.eclass and start on new iteration of eclass
112 skeleton.
113
114 Completed. The bulk of this work will likely start next week, but the
115 feedback I have received has been very helpful.
116
117 *Tomorrow's plans:*
118
119 Add more debugging statements to multilib to get a better sense of going
120 on, commit changes. Start documenting progress as needed.
121
122 Continue work on "find" statement of mpi-providers, as discussed in our
123 weekly meeting.
124
125 Finalize overlay structure, fix ebuild-specific syntax errors for repoman.
128 *June 16th:*
129 *Today's plans:*
130
131 Add more debugging statements to multilib to get a better sense of going
132 on, commit changes. Start documenting progress as needed.
133 Work in progress. Starting Monday I will be committing code to emulate the
134 multilib implementation.
135
136 Continue work on "find" statement of mpi-providers, as discussed in our
137 weekly meeting.
138 Work in progress. I have been playing with this but it requires further
139 testing.
140
141 Finalize overlay structure, fix ebuild-specific syntax errors for repoman.
142
143 Completed. I'm hoping to keep master repoman-friendly.
144
145 *Monday's plans:*
146
147 Clean up documentation (README, metadata.xml's) and migrate wiki page.
148
149 Test and add more implementation versions to the overlay.
150
151 Fix find statement in mpi-providers.
154 Start committing code to emulate multilib multiplexing with MPI installs.
157 Thanks,
158 Michael