From: Benda Xu <heroxbd@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Weekly Report: Portage Powered Android
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2020 01:04:40
1 Hi Gunwant,
2
3 Gunwant Jain <therealgunwant@×××××.com> writes:
4
5 > I was about to give a coherent report for what I have been doing for 2
6 > weeks next week, but my mentor suggested to explain my findings
7 > briefly.
8 >
9 > I found out that AOSP has actually been phasing out of using GCC in
10 > favour to Clang/LLVM based toolchains. And so, from the last time I
11 > gave in my weekly report, I have been checking up on llvm_android [1],
12 > the source of the toolchain which AOSP uses to build itself.
13 >
14 > I built the toolchain for x86 host using the original scripts AOSP
15 > provides and found out that they in terms of Bionic (Android's libc),
16 > they only copy Bionic's headers, compiles Clang for different targets
17 > using a prebuilt toolchain bundled with the entire package.
18 >
19 > Later, when we build Android, the prebuilt toolchain compiles Bionic and
20 > uses it as intermediatories to compile the other bulk of Android
21 > (frameworks, etc.).
22 >
23 > My main objective I think would be to introduce a aarch64 host config
24 > for llvm_android, and integrate the toolchain in the AOSP build process.
25 > Take this with a grain of salt, as I believe I should put more research
26 > into this first, which is why I was taking another week.
27 >
28 > I would probably write a detailed blog documenting AOSP's build process
29 > by the end of this working week, covering everything we need to proceed.
30
31 Good.
32
33 Please take a look into https://wiki.debian.org/AndroidTools, Debian
34 might have achieved some of the goals of us.
35
36 Yours,
37 Benda