From: Gunwant Jain <therealgunwant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Weekly Report: Portage Powered Android
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2020 11:44:53
1 Thanks for your query.
2
3 On 20/06/23 12:45PM, Pengcheng Xu wrote:
4 > Have you figured out _why_ Android is not booting? I can think of a bunch of reasons, such as missing dependencies for a dynamically-linked executable, crashing on execution, etc. Simply saying "would not boot Android" does not convey any information.
5
6 The binary exits after execution in the container. Also, it is a static
7 binary.
8
9 > Besides, I don't think you need NDK for something as low-level as an init; you shouldn’t need one as long as the code does not use Android-specific functions or call into Android service (e.g. vold). You should be able to get away with something standard, i.e. newlib/musl/glibc. I haven't read the source code though, and I might be wrong here; do your survey.
10
11 I had the same thoughts/arguments regarding using NDK for init. Also as
12 far as I can tell, it does not depend any Android-specific functions
13 either. But even then, using Gentoo's libc does not produce a working
14 binary. Couple of things to keep in mind regarding the NDK setup:
15 - It uses clang instead of gcc
16 - Uses a different sysroot, which is provided/bundled in NDK itself
17 (it is bundled according to the API level).
18 - It uses a different STL (again, bundled with NDK).
19
20 > You may try with bionic toolchain, but just as I said, so long as no Android-specific APIs are involved, libc should not be the problem.
21
22 I would argue the same actually, but using Bionic is the closest we can
23 get to have a NDK like environment without actually using NDK.
26 If required, I could also have this week devoted entirely in rewriting
27 `bootstrap-init`, but this would be counter-productive since the same
28 code-base produces working binaries using a different build-system.
29
30 I am open to any new advices on this topic.
31
32 Regards,
33 Gunwant
36 > Regards,