From: Benda Xu <heroxbd@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Interest in Improve packaging of scientific software
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2018 23:06:01
1 Hi Andrew,
2
3 Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> writes:
4
5 >> I’ll then start the most challenge part, porting and packaging
6 >> Intel Tools.
7 >
8 > While Intel stuff may rightfully be a part of your project, I do not
9 > recommend to focus on them too much, since this is a proprietary
10 > software and GSoC is all about Free/Libre software.
11 >
12 >> I’m also interested to port Intel’s python distribution
13 >
14 > I've discussed this project with Intel devs on one of the
15 > conferences. There is nothing special about it: it is a normal
16 > Python linked with Intel libraries and with some math libs replaced
17 > with more optimized free software solutions. So everyone can do the
18 > same with Intel MKL without need to obtain Intel Python. They
19 > created this project mostly due to marketing issues, since python
20 > is a popular language and management want to establish Intel's
21 > presence in this area.
22 >
23 > If you want to pursue this task, I recommend to build on FLOSS
24 > solutions as described above, packaging Intel Python itself is
25 > quite useless.
26
27 +1
28
29 With a more rubost blas/lapack framework/eclass, an optimized
30 scipy/numpy linked with OpenBLAS or Intel MKL will be on par if not
31 overtake the Intel python binaries.
32
33 >> I’d like if it is possible to bring into the sci-gentoo overlay
34 >> an “official” matlab ebuild
35 >
36 > Devoting a whole month to the proprietary piece of software is
37 > questionable again. Devoting some time to improve
38 > proprietary software packaging in Gentoo is OK, but devoting half of
39 > your time for them is questionable at least.
40
41 +1
42
43 I don't think a gigantic piece of proprietary software is very
44 interesting to us.
45
46 Benda