From: Robert Seaton <seatonr@××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Plan 9 From Gentoo: Weekly Status Report #7
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 16:22:30
1 Hi, all.
2
3 I spent about half of this week debugging a particularly nasty build
4 issue that I was bumping heads with. I eventually determined that the
5 problem was that I had canceled a Catalyst build when it was only
6 partially complete, which corrupted my entire build environment. This
7 corruption was silent, subsequent builds would complete seemingly
8 successfully, only would I find out at run-time that some packages had
9 been only partially emerged.
10
11 For the rest of the week, I focused on adding the finishing touches to
12 Plan 9 From Gentoo. It's now in a fairly usable state, the only
13 remaining thing to be done is to get Portage up and running on the
14 liveCD, as that was a feature mentioned by someone during my original
15 proposal and something that I assume the community would be interested
16 in having. I now have an introductory message on startup that
17 introduces new users to some of the userspace paradigms introduced by
18 Plan 9 (i.e. actually "drawing" a window on the screen) and, further,
19 the message points them to a number of resources where they can learn
20 more about the components shipped by Plan 9 From Gentoo.
21
22 In addition to working out some of the startup niceties, I wrote an
23 ebuild for the 9vx application and added that to the Glentoo overlay.
24 Plan 9 From Gentoo now ships with 9vx and a Plan 9 tree, so that users
25 can run Plan 9 VMs from Plan 9 From Gentoo's command line just by
26 executing the 9vx command. I think this is a pretty neat thing to have
27 and, hopefully, it will appease some of the Plan 9 natives who may be
28 put off by the remaining Linuxy goodness provided by Plan 9 From
29 Gentoo.
30
31 After this was accomplished, I began porting the Glendix patches to
32 the latest git kernel. I have everything in a build-able state, but it
33 still needs to be tested. In hindsight, I should have ported my
34 patches to the latest Gentoo kernel instead of the git release, as the
35 git kernels use a different style of ebuild and, which I found out in
36 testing a newly generated liveCD image with a git kernel, fail to
37 build correctly with Catalyst. Tomorrow, I will rebase my rebased
38 patches to a different release kernel (2.6.39.2 probably). Hopefully,
39 the patches will not exhibit any run time failures and I will be
40 sitting pretty. Rebasing the patches should not take long, but --
41 should there be run time failures -- debugging may take a day or two.
42
43 Once Glendix has been forward ported to a more recent kernel, I will
44 begin porting more syscalls from Plan 9 to the Linux kernel with the
45 goal of getting the native Plan 9 version of the sam editor running on
46 top of the Linux kernel and shipping with Plan 9 From Gentoo. I am
47 still waiting for Anant to get back to me with some more information
48 on porting the syscalls and how to move forward. If he has still not
49 gotten back to me by the time I am ready to begin work, I will once
50 again poke Robin about setting up a project page for Plan 9 From
51 Gentoo and getting space to host both the stage3 tarball of Plan 9
52 From Gentoo and the liveCD ISO. I may also see about taking over as
53 maintainer of (or just gaining access to) the Plan 9 overlay, as much
54 of my work in the Glentoo overlay should probably be moved to the Plan
55 9 overlay, seeing that it is useful for more than just my liveCD and
56 maybe some Gentoo-ers would like to permanently install plan9port or
57 similar on their machines.
58
59 I also must fill out my midterm report for Google at some point during
60 this week.
61
62 rps