From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Cc: patrick@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] gentoo soc openbsd port
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 08:17:41
1 Hi Benda,
2
3 On 24-03-2011 13:40:25 +0900, heroxbd@×××××.com wrote:
4 > My GNU/Linux experience is since 2003 with a tiny touch on BSD systems
5 > like FreeBSD, Mac OS X. The main attraction of OpenBSD to me is its
6 > supereme portability.
7
8 I don't recall which one anymore, but one of OpenBSD and NetBSD turned
9 out to be impossible to do anything useful with, as experienced by one
10 of the most skilled hacker I know. Either way, both OpenBSD and NetBSD
11 are a major pain. The "supreme portability" of OpenBSD definitely
12 doesn't apply to getting other software to run on the platform itself.
13
14 > I think I am suitable for this project under your mentor. And I hope
15 > after such I can become a Gentoo-Alt developper candidate.
16
17 Your project becomes much more valuable when you can indicate a
18 continuous support to the port/variant for a fair bit of the forseeable
19 future. One of the best examples why it is a waste to just see if you
20 can get it to work is Gentoo/Alt itself. Some platforms in the Prefix
21 project are really deserted, and Gentoo/FreeBSD has IMO never flourished
22 again after its most devoted developer decided to move on to the next
23 challenge.
24
25 > What is the next step to make a application to google?
26
27 Donnie gave an excellent answer on the administrative steps in his reply.
31 Fabian Groffen
32 Gentoo on a different level