From: "Yuan Liao (Leo)" <liaoyuan@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] GSoC 2021 Admitted Student Self-introduction
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 18:11:43
1 Hi folks,
2
3 This is Leo, the student who will work on packaging scientific and
4 big-data Java libraries and other stuff for Gentoo during this year's
5 GSoC activity. I am thrilled to have the opportunity to work with my
6 mentor, Benda, and everyone else here!
7
8 I am currently a fourth-year undergraduate student at the University
9 of Washington. I am studying Computer Science as my major and
10 Informatics as minor. I will graduate at the time I start to do my
11 GSoC project, and my current plan after graduation is to continue
12 learning about software engineering in a graduate school. In this
13 particular school term, I am also a teaching assistant for a software
14 engineering course offered by my school. My main duties are to help
15 students complete a software project they define on their own, monitor
16 their progress, supervise collaboration, evaluate their work, supply
17 feedback, and provide guidance and advice on using version control,
18 implementing quality assurance processes, writing documentation, etc.
19 (Sounds a little bit like the jobs of a GSoC mentor doesn't it? ;) )
20
21 My extracurricular time is mainly spent on contributions to free
22 software communities. Three years ago, I started to work on a
23 Minecraft mod that aims to improve the game's user experience. Doing
24 this project was how I learned and practiced most of my Java skills.
25 The mod is provided as a free software project so others can audit,
26 study, and modify it freely. Later, I began to contribute to a few
27 existing free software projects by submitting patches for their code,
28 scripts, and documentation. In particular, my contributions to Gentoo
29 include some ebuild patches and updates to Wiki articles. I have also
30 been publishing articles and tutorials about configuring and using
31 Gentoo on my personal blog website.
32
33 I believe this is a short and sweet introduction of my background
34 relevant to Gentoo and GSoC. If you would like to learn more about
35 me, please visit my personal website at <https://leo3418.github.io>,
36 which you can use as a pointer to my blog articles, GitHub profile,
37 and then almost everything about my work and interest in free software
38 communities. Thanks for reading, and again, I am looking forward to
39 working with you all in GSoC!
40
41 Best,
42 Leo